Pages

Jul 19, 2011

Homemade Condensed Milk

Every time I try to buy canned condensed milk, I hesitate to buy it because I don't use a whole can at a time and the expiration date has passed before I know it.  So, I have decided to stop buying it and make my own condensed milk.

Many recipes, however, call for butter and powdered milk.  Noooo, no,no,no!  I don't want to use butter because I want to be healthy as much as I can.  Also, I usually don't have powdered milk in my kitchen.  So I need a recipe without buying any special ingredients and finally I found this one!!




Ingredients:
1cup of Milk  (Will reduce to 1/2 cup in the end)
1/5 cup of Sugar  (1/5 of milk)


Preparation:
1. Add milk and sugar into a sauce pan
2. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally
3. It is okay if the milk boils, but do not let it stick to the bottom of the pan 
4. Cook the mixture down until it reaches your desired consistency. If the milk is thick enough that you can draw a line in it and see the bottom of the pan, that is the signal to finish cooking.  (With this amount, it took about 30 minutes)
 
5. Strain it into a jar and keep it in the fridge

That's it!  Simple and easy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment